Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let's Try This Again

I'm baaaccckkk!

After the long sabbatical from blogging, I'm happy to be back at it! I'll keep the update brief and confine it to a paragraph...

December was my teaching nadir. (Every morning began with me through my alarm.) January was the beginning of the precipitous downhill slide to the CRCT in April, so I had no time to wallow in my funk. In other words, it was do-or-die time. Obviously, I'm writing, so I didn't die. I "do"ed.  Better yet, my kids "do"ed quite well on the CRCT. Also, they launched pretty awesome egg-protection devices from the third floor. 

My room smelled like a giant fart for days.
I survived through the school year and have decided to continue to teach, which is the real victory! In all seriousness, I don't wish the fatigue and the cripplingly amount of self-doubt and criticism on anyone. I do wish that everyone could see my kids and the pride in themselves when their eggs lived after their drop. That was awesome finish to the year and awesome reminder that the real purpose of teaching is not the CRCT (though, seriously, my kids' scores kicked butt).

I'm back to blogging now, because I'm desperately avoiding grad school work. Thankfully, the time-suck that is grad school ends at the end of the summer. Before the summer is out, I will fully unload my frustration with grad school. Through my procrastination efforts, I've found several teaching-related blogs, though for my TFA-wary friends, note some of them are written by TFA folks. Though, FYI, I feel myself going in that direction... (I owe another blog post on that as well). 

Accidentally tripping upon my own blog is what really got me back to blogging. Reading through my own post was fascinating. I found myself laughing, cringing, reminiscing, and vowing to never again to do or say certain things. Teaching is such a fun and rewarding trip that I rather like documenting, reviewing, and discussing the journey! Even during the summertime when I'm not being paid to think about my classroom, I already have a few organizational and instructional ideas that I'm forming and modifying now based on stuff I've been reading. You could either classify this as sad or super-dedicated. (Let's go with door #2, please.)

Long story...well, not made short, because this post is NOT short. Brevity is not my strong suit...

I'm back and better than last year, but only because I have a year under my belt now. If not, I would still suck. 

As a closing, I will leave you with something someone should have sat me down in front of last year at this point in time


The Myth of the Super Teacher from EdWriters on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment